Moms are working in Nevada to fight for clean air and a stable climate. We host events, share information about what’s going on, and create opportunities for mothers to talk to their legislators about their concerns. Please join us in Nevada, and let us know about your priorities.
members in Nevada
How we’re making a difference in Nevada
Nevada Moms Respond to Covid-19
As we cope with the Covid-19 response in Nevada, Moms Clean Air Force is cancelling our in-person April events. Keeping our families safe is our top priority.
Hope will not be cancelled. We are stronger together, and a better future for our children keeps us motivated. All staff are working from home. We are meeting with each other and our lawmakers virtually, and we are exploring ways to best support Nevada communities, especially those for which Covid-19 is an extreme hardship. Read how Nevada moms and families are coping with Covid-19 here.
Governor Sisolak takes strong steps toward meeting the state’s goal to cut climate pollution 45% by 2030.
On November 22, 2019, Governor Sisolak issued an Executive Order directing state agencies to develop policy to meet pollution reduction targets set in the earlier in the year. The state will evaluate for the first time how to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across all sectors of the economy — including energy, transportation, and building efficiency.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada proudly stood alongside the Governor during the press conference following the announcement. Reno Field Organizer, Jennifer Cantley, issued the following statement:
“Moms are thrilled Governor Sisolak is working on strong policy plans through today’s Executive Order, which will chart a path to carbon pollution reduction to protect the health and future of our children, and bring us closer to climate safety. While the Trump administration attacks safeguards that clean up the air and exits the Paris Climate Agreement, the Governor is taking specific steps to reduce emissions in Nevada.”
Nevada Clean Air Moms celebrate commitment of 100% renewable energy by 2050.
On Earth Day 2019, Nevada Clean Air Moms had much to celebrate. Governor Steve Sisolak signed a bill to transition the state to 100% renewable energy by 2050 and 50% by 2030, making Nevada the fourth state to commit to 100% renewable energy.
Nevada Clean Air Moms and Kids were invited to attend the signing of this landmark bill, and member of the Kids Clean Air Force, Joey Cantley, was even given the signed bill.
Thank you to Governor Sisolak and Nevada Senator, Chris Brooks, for your commitment to addressing climate change and protecting the health and future of our state’s children!
Nevada joins the U.S. Climate Alliance, becoming the 23rd state to commit to meeting the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement.
Nevada Clean Air Moms proudly stood beside Governor Steve Sisolak in March 2019 as he announced that Nevada will join the U.S. Climate Alliance. As one of only two climate groups invited to speak at the press conference by the Governor, Nevada organizer, Jennifer Cantley, discussed the vital importance of taking action on climate change to protect the health and safety of Nevada’s children.
Senator Jacky Rosen pledges to support clean energy to protect children’s health:
In December 2018, staff from the offices of Senator Jacky Rosen, Representative Dina Titus, and Senator Catherine Cortez-Masto attended an Ecomadres cafecito held at the Alliance Against Diabetes Clinic in Las Vegas. Ecomadres is a collaboration between Moms Clean Air Force and GreenLatinos. Senator Rosen pledged to support the work of Moms Clean Air Force and move Nevada to a clean energy economy.
Climate education in Reno schools.
Moms Clean Air Force has teamed up with Reno Mayor, Hillary Schieve, on a climate education program in the Reno schools. Nevada organizer, Jennifer, will be launching the school tour in April 2019 in schools throughout the city.
Organizing Latina moms through Ecomadres.
Launched in September 2018, the Ecomadres program brings Latina moms together to address issues of clean air, climate, and toxics that affect the health of Latino children and families. Ecomadres is a collaboration between GreenLatinos and Moms Clean Air Force.
We host cafecitos around Reno, Carson City, and Las Vegas that provide opportunities for the community to discuss air quality and climate change. We also invite local officials to hear about the issues that concern the families they represent.
Connecting Nevada moms to local leadership.
In Nevada, Moms Clean Air Force works to connect moms to their mayors and local city officials through Moms & Mayors.
The program helps moms share the changes they want to see in their communities with their mayors and other local officials. The goal is to achieve healthier communities—whether through addressing local air pollution issues, adding community solar projects, developing a strong city sustainability plan, and more.
At the 2018 Moms & Mayors events in Reno and Las Vegas, more than 260 Nevada residents came together for a day of celebration and action. The 2019 Moms & Mayors event was held on May 11th.
We’re leading the way on renewable energy.
The November 2018, election marked a big climate change win for Nevada. Just a year after former Nevada Governor, Brian Sandoval, vetoed a bill that would have increased renewable energy in the state to 40% by 2030, Nevadans fought for an even stronger commitment to clean energy. The ballot initiative, passed with nearly 60% of statewide votes, requires electric utility companies to switch to a minimum of 50% percent renewable energy by 2030. The bill will be voted on again in 2020 to be passed into law.
As the highest solar potential state, Nevada is incredibly well positioned to take on this challenge.
Climate change is putting our families at risk.
Already the driest state the United States, Nevada will likely face even more intense periods of drought as the planet warms. Nevada’s mountain snowpack, high altitude snow that accumulates throughout the winter, is a critical source of water for Nevada families and agriculture. With hotter winters and less winter snow, the snowpack is getting smaller and leading to increased water scarcity. In 2015, the U.S. Agriculture Department even declared the drought in Nevada a natural disaster.
Two Nevada cities, Reno and Las Vegas, are among the top 25 fastest warming cities in the United States — #1 and #3 respectively.
Rising temperatures in these cities puts Nevada families at risk from heat related illness and death, especially older adults and young children, who are more sensitive to heat.
Our children breathe polluted air.
Las Vegas and Reno experienced 63 and 21 code orange days respectively for ozone pollution from 2015-2017. This high number of unsafe ozone days caused Clark and Washoe Counties to receive an F grade from the American Lung Association for their air quality.
Over 39,000 children in Clark County (Las Vegas) have asthma. As the 13th most polluted city in the country, these children face dangerous breathing days too often.
We are fighting for stronger protections so that children in Nevada don’t have to play inside. During the summer, smog, or ground level ozone, is worse because it forms in the atmosphere when pollutants combine with heat and sunlight. Our kids should be able to play outside safely all summer!
Upcoming Events › Nevada
- No matching events listed under Nevada. Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of events.
Las Vegas field organizer Cinthia Zermeño Moore participated in a virtual panel discussion titled “Exploring the Future of Clean Energy.” The panel was hosted by Nevada’s Green Team.
Reno Field Organizer, Jennifer Cantley, stood alongside Governor Sisolak during the press conference for his Executive Order directing state agencies to develop policies to meet climate reduction targets set in the spring.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Nevada attended the sixth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
On May 11, 2019 in celebration of Mother’s Day weekend, Clean Air Moms Nevada hosted a Mom Power Summit in Reno, Nevada.
Clean Air Moms Nevada participated in the Reno Earth Day fair. Moms Clean Air Force organizer, Jennifer Cantley, had the opportunity to speak at the fair about the importance of climate action.
Mom Clean Air Force Nevada organizer, Jennifer Cantley testified at the Nevada legislator in support of a bill brought up by Senator Chris Brooks of Las Vegas focused on clean buses for schools, an effort that Moms Clean Air Force and Chispa have been working on since 2017.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada hosted a “Health Cafecito” at the Alliance Against Diabetes in Las Vegas. Attendees included representatives from the offices of Congresswomen Dina Titus, Jacky Rosen, and Catherine Cortez Masto.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada hosted multiple Cafecitos to celebrate the launch of Ecomadres in Las Vegas. The first Cafecito of the month included a panel discussion featuring Brissa Arana, a local community health worker.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada participated in local Peoples Climate Movement events.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada participated in the Festival Centro Americano.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada participated in “Feria de Inmigración y Prevención de Fraude” in Las Vegas.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada participated in Latino Conservation week, in partnership with other Las Vegas organizations, including: Mi Familia Vota, Planned Parenthood, Sierra Club, Battle Born, Chispa NV.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada tabled at the Dia del Salvadoreno event.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada tabled at the Immigration Fraud Prevention Fair.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Nevada attended the fifth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
Field organizer, Claudia Najarro spoke at the “Keep Families Together” event on Saturday, June 23.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada members met with Mayor Bob Crowell and with Mayor Hillary Scheive and collaborated on a competition that consisted of having the students write an essay on the changes that they would implement if they were mayor for the day.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada hosted Mama Summits in Reno and Las Vegas to learn about and celebrate local action on climate change.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada attended the GreenLatinos summit in Colorado.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada tabled at an Earth Day event in Reno.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada met with Congressman Amodei’s staff.
Field organizer, Jennifer Cantley gave a presentation to a group of third graders about the upcoming Mama Summit.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada met with Councilman Issac Barron and Congressman Ruben Kihuen.
Field organizer, Jennifer Ann spoke at CCMES to 1st and 3rd graders about climate change and the upcoming Mama Summit event.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada tabled at the Battle Born Progress summit.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada tabled at Universal Church.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada hosted house parties in Carson City, Reno, and Douglas County.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada hosted a house party in Dayton.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Nevada traveled to San Francisco, CA to testify in opposition to EPA’s proposed repeal of America’s Clean Power Plan.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Nevada participated in the Nevada Women’s March.
Moms Clean Air Force Nevada attended and spoke at a rally along with Van Jones, Green For All and Chispa Nevada to demand Governor Sandoval invest the state’s VW settlement dollars into electric school buses to replace diesel-fueled buses, which are exposing kids to dirty air and cancer-causing pollutants.
- Public News Service, Coalition Forms to Fight Climate Change, Shape NV Public-Lands Bill
- Elko Daily, Coalition forms to fight climate change, shape Nevada public-lands bill, Coalition forms to fight climate change, shape Nevada public-lands bill
- Press Release, Moms Clean Air Force’s Nevada Chapter Applauds Governor Sisolak’s Action to Meet Climate Pollution Reduction Targets; While Federal Environmental Protections Continue to Disappear, Nevada Is Poised to Be a Leader on Climate Action
- Press Release, NV Moms Join Members of Congress on Capitol Hill as Part of Sweeping Movement for Climate Solutions
- Media Advisory, Moms Celebrate Mother’s Day with Reno local leaders for Summit in Support of Clean Air, Kids’ Health
- Nevada Capital News, Bill would set framework for greenhouse gas reductions in Nevada
- Nevada Forward, Conservation and Outdoor Groups Descend on Legislature for Conservation Lobby Day
- El Mundo Las Vegas, ‘Mural de metas’ …analizan problemas que afectan a la comunidad hispana
- Las Vegas Sun, Families will suffer if Wheeler becomes EPA chief
- El Mundo Las Vegas, ‘Moms Clean Air Force’ ponen salud y cuidado del medio ambiente por delante
- El Mundo Las Vegas, ‘Moms Clean Air Force’ y su persistente lucha por la calidad de vida
- El Tiempo, Reiteran importancia de prevenir el fraude en asuntos migratorios
- El Tiempo, Preparan fiesta independentista
- KMVT 11, Nevada mothers rally in Washington calling for climate action
- Gray Washington News Bureau, Nevada mothers rally in Washington calling for climate action
- Reno Gazette Journal, 9 things to do with your mom for Mother’s Day in Northern Nevada
- Kolo 8, News Now at 11pm
- KTNV-TV Online ABC 13, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Kolo 8, News Now at 6:30pm
- Kolo 8, News Now at 5pm
- Republic Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Kolo- TV Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- KTVN- TV Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ Celebrating Clean Environment
- The Eagle Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- KTVN- TV Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The Herald Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Sun Herald Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Idaho Statesman Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Beaufort Gazette Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Bellingham Herald Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Centre Daily Times Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Bradenton Herald Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The Charlotte Observer Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Belleville News-Democrat Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Modesto Bee Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The News Tribune Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The Wichita Eagle Online/Kansas.com, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The Miami Herald Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- San Antonio Express-News Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Telegraph Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- New Haven Register Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- The Olympian Online, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Lexington Herald-Leader Online/Kentucky.com, Reno ‘Mamma Summit’ celebrates clean environment Saturday
- Public News Service, All These NV Moms Want for Mother’s Day is a Cleaner Environment
- El Tiempo, Cambio climático afecta a familias Latinas
- Sierra Club, Clean Power Plan Supporters Speak as EPA Officials Listen Impassively
- CBS Las Vegas, EPA Cuts Harmful To Nevada Air Quality
- My Informs, REPORT: PROPOSED EPA CUTS HARMFUL TO NV AIR QUALITY
- Public News Service, Report: Proposed EPA Cuts Harmful to NV Air Quality