Moms are working in Washington, DC to fight for clean air and a stable climate. We host events, share information about what’s going on, and create opportunities for mothers to talk to their legislators about their concerns. Please join us in Washington DC, and let us know about your priorities.
members in Washington, DC
How we’re making a difference in Washington DC
Moms helped DC pass a landmark climate change bill.
As part of the DC Climate Coalition, Moms Clean Air Force DC fought to pass the strongest state climate bill in the country, moving DC to 100% renewable energy by 2032. Moms Clean Air Force spent years educating community members, talking with DC councilmembers, testifying at public hearings, attending visibility events, sending letters, making signs, showing up at city council meetings, and placing calls to get the District mayor and councilmembers on board with the climate bill. The Clean Energy DC Act was passed unanimously by the DC City Council in December 2018. The bill is already creating ripples throughout the country.
Moms Clean Air Force’s DC organizer, Liz Brandt, is highlighted on the BBC for her work helping to get the Clean Energy DC Act passed in 2018.
Moving DC to enact strong climate policies.
As federal legislation lags, no city has sent a stronger message demanding climate action than DC. Moms Clean Air Force organized parents to reduce fossil fuel pollution and create a more just and sustainable economy for all through the passage of a landmark climate change bill, the “Clean Energy DC Act.” The bill was passed by the DC Council in December 2018. The nation’s capital will adopt one of the most aggressive carbon-cutting goals in the country, providing a showcase example for climate action at the local level. It will put DC on the path to 100% renewable electricity by 2032, fund local sustainability initiatives, decrease harmful climate pollution, and support low-income residents.
Moms Clean Air Force played an integral role in the DC Climate Coalition, a group of over one hundred organizations and businesses, united for a strong climate law for the city. Our moms met with city council members, testified at hearings, and participated in visibility events to push for the passage of the bill, helping to show support for strong, health-protective climate action.
Moms Clean Air Force looks forward to continuing to work with the city as the law is implemented in the upcoming years.
We work for change at the local and federal level.
DC moms are uniquely positioned to push for change both at the local and federal level. Our DC chapter relies on the power of our “Supermoms,” highly active members who support our mission, attend events, speak to press, and represent our million members in other parts of the country. They join legislative visits to Capitol Hill, attend and testify at public hearings, participate in on-the-ground events such as rallies and marches, and contribute their advice and unique skills to our work.
Our children breathe dirty air.
DC’s air quality has improved dramatically over the past several years. While code red air days for both ozone and particulate matter were a common occurrence in the early 2000’s, the frequency of these days has dramatically declined in recent years. But while the region has made substantial steps to reduce air pollution in DC, there is still much work to be done.
Despite improvements in the number of code red air days, the American Lung Association gave the District an F grade for ozone air pollution due the high number of code orange days in 2019.
In fact, Washington ranked among the top 25 most polluted cities for ozone pollution in 2019.
Moms Clean Air Force is continuing to educate residents on the dangers of ozone pollution, as well as helping to push for stronger national air pollution standards.
Upcoming Events › Washington DC
- No matching events listed under Washington DC. Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of events.
DC Clean Air Moms attended the Joint Congressional Hearing, “Voices Leading the Next Generation on the Global Climate Crisis,” to support youth leaders stressing the urgency of acting on climate. Witnesses included Greta Thunberg, Jamie Margolin, Vic Barrett, and Benji Backer.
Ecomadres hosted a cafecito at local DC school, CentroNía, to talk with parents and students about the importance of acting on climate.
DC Clean Air Moms supported the DC Climate Strike with Greta Thunberg and other youth climate leaders from Fridays for Future DC and Youth Climate Strike DC on September 13, 2019 as strikers marched to the White House.
DC Clean Air Moms went to DC City Hall to discuss the implementation of the Clean Energy DC Act.
Moms Clean Air Force hosted the sixth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
On March 18, 2019, members of Moms Clean Air Force DC testified in support of the lifesaving Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) at EPA’s hearing on their proposal to undermine MATS.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members testified at an EPA hearing in support of a rule that ensures newly built coal plants adhere to carbon pollution limits, a rule that Trump, Wheeler, and their coal industry friends are actively working to dismantle. Moms and kids also delivered “Climate Valentines” to EPA and members of Congress on Capitol Hill following the hearing. View photos from the hearing and Valentine delivery here.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members welcomed EPA employees back to work post-government shutdown.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members attended Wheeler’s nomination hearing to make it clear that as an ex-coal lobbyist, Wheeler is unfit to run EPA. View photos from the meetings and hearing here.
On December 18, 2018, the DC Council passed the strongest climate bill in the country, the Clean Energy DC Act! Moms were a critical part of this fight, visiting the office of DC Councilmember, Mary Cheh just the day before. Additionally, Moms Clean Air Force’s Molly Rauch spoke at a press conference following the passage of the bill.
Moms Clean Air Force DC members attended the “Solving Our Climate Change Crisis” national Town Hall in Washington, DC.
Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in a tree planting with Ecomadres at Ladybird Johnson Park in DC.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt testifiedin support of the DC Clean Energy Act at DC City Hall.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members participated in a climate Rally with UMC in Frederick, MD.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt testified in support of the Clean Energy DC Omnibus Act of 2018.
Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in “Climate in the Pulpit” activities at a local church.
Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in a United Methodist Women DC/MD regional climate event in Fredrick, MD.
Moms Clean Air Force DC members attended the “Put a Price On It” press conference at DC City Hall.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt tabled and spoke at the Chevy Chase Village Green Fair in Maryland.
Moms Clean Air Force DC-area members gathered near the Department of the Interior to bring awareness to the link between climate change and forest fires.
Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in Zero Hour Youth Climate events.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attended the Censored Science conference.
Moms Clean Air Force hosted the fifth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attended a Clean Cars forum in Fairfax with the Sierra Club.
DC area Moms Clean Air Force members attended a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing featuring testimony from EPA Administrator, Scott Pruitt.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt attended the Symposium on Environmental Justice at UMD.
DC area Moms Clean Air Force members attended a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing featuring EPA Administrator, Scott Pruitt.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt spoke at a rally at the EPA hosted by AFGE, a union representing EPA employees.
Field organizer, Liz Brandt led workshops for 60 public high school students at a climate summit in Silver Spring, MD.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabled at an Earth Day event at the Pentagon.
Moms Clean Air Force DC members participated in a Carbon Price lobby day.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members testified at a hearing on the proposed adoption of a cap and trade standard to limit carbon pollution from Virginia power plants.
Moms Clean Air Force DC members joined the Rally for Undocumented Youth.
Moms Clean Air Force DC joined United Methodist Women in Annapolis to advocate for the Clean Energy Jobs Act.
Moms Clean Air Force DC co-sponsored and tabled at the Taking the Environment Black conference.
Moms Clean Air Force joined Chispa to travel to the Maryland legislature in Annapolis to deliver petitions from the Chispa “Clean Buses for Healthy Ninos” campaign.
Moms Clean Air Force attended a Senate Environment and Public Works committee hearing featuring testimony from EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.
Field consultant, Liz Brandt spoke at an English/Spanish Chispa “Healthy Homes Healthy Communities” event at Rosa Parks elementary in Hyattsville, MD.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members attended the DC Auto Show to call on automakers to stop the rollback of clean car standards.
Moms Clean Air Force members testified at a hearing focused on America’s Clean Power Plan in Annapolis.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabled with Chispa at the Langley Park Christmas Bazaar.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members attended a House Environment Subcommittee hearing featuring EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. Prior to the hearing, field consultant, Elizabeth Brandt spoke at a rally and press conference nearby.
Moms Clean Air Force members testified at a hearing on glider trucks at EPA headquarters in Washington, DC.
Moms Clean Air Force DC dropped holiday cards to members of Congress on Capitol Hill.
Moms Clean Air Force co-sponsored a town hall focused on asthma in Langley Park, MD.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabled at an advocacy event at the Georgetown Patagonia store.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attend a “We can’t wait” carbon pricing rally.
Field consultant, Liz Brandt spoke at a 350 Loudoun gathering in Leesburg.
Moms Clean Air Force hosted a free concert with Latin GRAMMY Award winning children’s musician, Mister G at All Souls Church, Unitarian.
Moms Clean Air Force DC hosted a Play-In for Our Common Home in Northern Virginia.
Moms Clean Air Force DC cosponsored the Naturally Latinos Conference with the Audubon Naturalist Society.
Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in the National Cathedral Interfaith walk.
Moms Clean Air Force DC members testifyied at an EPA hearing on car emission standards.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabled at the Reston Farmer’s Market.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabed at the Baltimore Vegan Soul Festival.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attended a screening of the Inconvenient Truth sequel in Northern Virginia.
Moms Clean Air Force members testified at an EPA Public Hearing on the Oil and Gas New Source Performance Standards: Proposed Three-Month Stay and Two-Year Stay held at the William Jefferson Clinton-East U.S. EPA building.
Moms Clean Air Force hosted the fourth annual Play-In for Climate Action in Washington, DC with over 500 families in attendance.
Moms Clean Air Force DC tabled at Mom’s Organic Market.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members attended a Senate Appropriations hearing on the EPA budget, featuring testimony from EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.
Moms Clean Air Force DC area members attended a House of Representatives hearing on the EPA budget, featuring testimony from EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.
Field Consultant, Liz Brandt spoke at a rally on Environmental Justice hosted by the Hip-Hop Caucus to protest cuts to the EPA.
Moms Clean Air Force attended an emergency rally at the White House in response to President Trump’s decision to exit the Paris Climate Agreement.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at Green Festival Expo.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at Milkshake’s Concert for Mom at The Creative Alliance in Baltimore.
Moms Clean Air Force hosted an art installation and press conference in honor of World Asthma Day at Columbus Circle.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attended the Chesapeake Climate Action Network’s Carbon Pricing Campaign kick-off.
Moms Clean Air Force marched in the Peoples Climate March.
Moms Clean Air Force participated in the March for Science.
Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC area members attended an emergency rally outside of the White House in response to President Trump signing an executive order that attacks clean air safeguards.
Moms Clean Air Force DC hosted a house party in Takoma Park, MD.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at a screening of TIDEWATER at the Environmental Film Festival in Washington, DC.
Moms Clean Air Force public health policy director, Molly Rauch sat on a panel at the launch of the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health in Washington, DC.
Field organizer, Julie Hantman attended “On the Front Lines: The Impact of Climate Change on Latino Communities”, sponsored by Bloomberg Government/EDF/Hispanic Federation.
Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC attended an awards ceremony hosted by the Chesapeake Climate Action Network celebrating the commitment of MD and DC policymakers.
Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC joined the DC Table that will handle local planning for the People’s Climate Mobilization’s large event tentatively scheduled for April 29, 2017.
Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC attended a Resources for the Future (RFF) event on carbon pricing.
On Wednesday, July 13 Moms Clean Air Force hosted the third annual Play-In for Climate Action at Upper Senate Park in Washington, DC with over 700 kids and parents in attendance from 50 states.
Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC hosted a “School’s Out Food Drive” contributing to the over 4,542 pounds of food collected by Moms Clean Air Force chapters nationwide.
Julie Hantman attended the USCAN Annual Conference in Miami.
Field organizer, Julie Hantman delivered testimony at the DC Council on a package of three clean energy/climate bills.
Field organizer, Julie Hantman attended a Brookings panel on Zika and climate change.
Field organizer, Julie Hantman, provided oral comments to OMB in support of EPA’s New Source Performance Standards for methane.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at the National Hispanic Medical Association annual conference.
Moms Clean Air Force DC attended a Democracy Awakening rally, to stand up against big money interests in politics, including climate politics.
For the second year, Moms Clean Air Force DC was a media partner to the annual Environmental Film Festival in Our Nation’s Capital. The festival theme for 2016 was “Parks” in honor of the National Park Service’s 100th birthday.
Moms Clean Air Force co-hosted a roundtable discussion on the Prescription for Climate Health. Additional hosts included: Environment America, Alliance for Nurses for Healthy Environments, Physicians for Social Responsibility, and GU Fossil Free.
Moms Clean Air Force members from the DC area and across the country delivered valentines to EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy, urging EPA to take action on methane pollution from existing sources. Read more about the day HERE.
December 3, 2015: Moms Clean Air Force Virginia and Washington, DC members gathered at EPA headquarters to deliver thousands of comment cards to EPA thanking them for proposing standards to limit methane emissions from new oil and gas operations. (Our comments also urge them to quickly propose standards pegged to existing operations).
Field organizer, Julie Hantman gave a presentation to the DC Asthma Coalition on children’s health and climate change.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled during the Grand Opening of MOM’s Organic Market store at 1901 N. Veitch Street, Arlington, VA. The market generously donated 5% of all weekend sales to Moms Clean Air Force.
October, 2015: Moms Clean Air Force DC participated in planning the DC People’s Climate Movement’s ‘Day of Action’ along with a dozen other organizations. We fielded a contingent of 16 moms, dads and kids. A total of 400 people participated in this rush hour protest in downtown DC. The action coincided with similar actions in over 100 cities nationwide. The DC event involved protest of the fossil fuel industry’s efforts to obstruct climate action. This was followed by a march and a rally to celebrate local climate activism.
September, 2015: Moms Clean Air Force DC fielded a large and visible contingent of 20 moms and kids to attend the Rally for Climate Justice. The rally attracted thousands of people to mark Pope Francis’ climate leadership on the day of his address to the U.S. Congress. Our Moms’ contingent enjoyed media interest from the Washington Post, WJLA/ABC-TV and also from videographers at the Natural Resources Defense Council.
July, 2014-2015: Moms Clean Air Force Washington, DC helped drive participation at both the 2014 and 2015 “Play-In for Climate Action” events on Capitol Hill, and supported implementation of this national event. Over 700 people turned out for both Play-Ins combined, which urged Congress to support the Clean Power Plan to cut carbon pollution by power plants.
- The New York Times, Government Reopens as Trump Casts Doubt on Prospects for a Border Wall Deal
- The Washington Post, Federal employees return to backlog of work after 35-day shutdown
- E&E News, ‘Uncertainty is … stressful’ as staff return post-shutdown
- Bloomberg Environment, ‘Dread and Excitement’ as EPA Employees Head Back to Work (1)
- Getty Images, January 28, 2019 at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- BBC, Interview ft. Moms Clean Air Force DC Organizer, Liz Brandt
- Afro News, D.C. Council Passes Landmark Energy Bill
- The Hill is Home, EXCITING NEWS: DC COUNCIL JUST PASSED THE CLEAN ENERGY DC OMNIBUS ACT OF 2018
- WAMU 88.5, Major D.C. Climate Bill Headed for Passage, After Unanimous First Vote
- Breitbart News, Watch – Protesters: Feds Allowed Climate Change to Deny Youth Constitutional Rights
- E&E News, Advisers say they’re being sidelined on kids’ health
- The Fairfax Connection, Mom Power and Green Power Join Forces
- KidFriendly DC, Where to Play on the Weekdays: July 9-13
- Politico Morning Energy, Pruitt makes his Senate return
- The Washington Post, Pruitt’s EPA denies climate science. Republicans can correct him. Will they?
- E&E News, Democrats, greens see some benefit as Pruitt hangs on
- Carbon Price DC, How to Solve the District’s Air Quality Problem
- Sojourners, Faith Leaders to EPA’s Pruitt: Where Do Your Priorities Lie?
- Automotive News, 3rd-grader schools EPA
- Mindful Healthy Life, 4th Annual Play-In for Climate Action July 13
- Politico, PRUITT RETURNS TO THE HILL
- Catholic Climate Covenant, The Butterfly Effect
- Sustainable Scoop, 05-03-2017 Elizabeth Brandt
- The Hill, Killing Clean Power Plan moves US backward on air pollution
- Natural Awakenings, People’s Climate March in Washington, D.C.
- Chesapeake Climate Action Network, “PUT A PRICE ON IT DC” IS TAKING OFF!
- KidFriendly DC, Where to Play on the Weekdays: July 11-15
- Inside Climate News, Washington D.C. Pension Fund Announces Full Fossil Fuel Divestment
- Mindful Healthy Life, MOM’s Organic Market Opens in Arlington!
- SYS-CON Media, MOM’s Organic Market Arlington: Grand Opening This Friday-Sunday!
- ARL Now, MOM’s Organic Market Opening Next Week on Lee Highway
- Voice of America Chinese, 数百人华盛顿抗议TPP不环保条款
- YubaNet, Groups take climate fight to Oil Barons’ doorstep
- Mindful Healthy Life, Moms Flock to U.S. Capitol for Climate Action Play-In
- Mindful Healthy Life, Environmental Film Fest screens Project Wild Thing, concludes this weekend
- Natural Awakenings, Speak up Against Pollution to the Environmental Protection Agency
- The Washington Post, EPA’s plan on climate change fills a void as Congress does nothing
- E&E Publishing, McConnell plans to take coal country message to EPA listening session in D.C.
- The Washington Post, Competing visions of cataclysm at an EPA hearing
- E&E Publishing, Green hoopla dominates start of EPA hearings on carbon rule
- OC Mom Magazine, 200 Moms And Kids Launch A “Play-in” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- IT Business Net, 200 Moms And Kids Launch A “play-in” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- Nassau News Live, 200 Moms And Kids Launch A “Play-in” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- Mindful Healthy Life, Moms turn out in force to call for action on climate
- The Sacramento Bee, 200 Moms And Kids Launch A “Play-in” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- iStock Analyst, Moms And Kids Hold “Play-In” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- Environment and Energy Daily, Mothers, children to stage ‘play in’ at Capitol in support of EPA rule
- Miami Herald, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- The Recorder, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- Charlotte Observer, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- Lexington Herald-Leader, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- Ledger-Enquirer, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- What To Expect, Moms and Kids Hold “Play In” Protest for Climate Change
- Truth Atlas, Moms Stage “Play-In” for Climate Action on Capitol Hill
- Chicago Tribune, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- Investor Ideas, 200 Moms And Kids Launch A “play-in” Protest On Capitol Hill For Climate Action
- Los Angeles Times, Mothers bring kids to Senate to push for EPA’s climate change rule
- DC Green Scene, Play-In For Climate Action
- Beltway Bambinos, Weekday Adventures: Splish, splash in the stream, theatre-in-the-woods and practice your ABC’s with Mister G
- Mindful Healthy Life, Visionary Mom Inspires Play-In for Climate Change