Moms are working in Florida to fight for clean air and a stable climate. We host events, share information about what’s going on, and create opportunities for mothers to talk to their legislators about their concerns. Please join us in Florida, and let us know about your priorities.
members in Florida
How we’re making a difference in Florida
Florida moms take action:
Here’s what we’ve been working on in the Sunshine State!
Launched in September 2018, the Ecomadres program brings Latina moms together to address issues of clean air, climate, and toxics that affect the health of Latino children and families. Ecomadres is a collaboration between GreenLatinos and Moms Clean Air Force.
The program provides comadres with reliable information and solutions through online resources, articles, action tools, and on-the-ground events. Our inclusive community empowers and lifts up the voices of comadres for the benefit of our families and communities. Ecomadres has a vibrant network of state-based field teams and allies across the country.
We host cafecitos around the country that provide opportunities for the communities to discuss air quality and climate change.
Building Relationships with Elected Officials:
Through meetings in DC and in-district, Moms Clean Air Force Florida has been working to foster relationships with elected officials to take meaningful action on climate. In October 2019, Florida Organizer, Yaritza Perez, was invited to speak at a press conference hosted by Congresswoman Castor (FL-14). Hosted during Hispanic Heritage Month, the press conference focused on the need for climate action and environmental justice in Tampa– and around the country.
Moms & Mayors:
Our Moms & Mayors program connects moms with their mayors and local leaders to improve children’s health and build resilient communities. We educate, empower and mobilize moms in their hometowns to work with their local elected leaders to implement clean air strategies, reduce toxins in the community, and take action on climate change. We also train moms to join boards and commissions and urge them to run for office.
Our homes and communities are at risk from climate change.
Florida families are already seeing the impacts of climate change. In October, 2018, Floridians braced for one of the most destructive hurricanes to make landfall in the US in the last 50 years– with little time to prepare. Hurricane Michael rapidly moved from a Category 1 to a Category 4 “worst case scenario” storm, leaving widespread destruction across the Panhandle in its wake.
But hurricanes are not the only climate impact Florida families face. As global temperatures rise, sea level rise poses a significant risk to coastal communities. By the end of the century, about one million Florida homes may be impacted by sea level rise– the highest number of any state.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida joined the Florida Conservation Voters for a Picnic in the Park at Goodlet Park in Hialeah, Florida.
Florida Organizer, Yaritza Perez, co-hosted a “picnic with the park” with the organization, Alianza, in Hialeah, Florida.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida held a Mom Power Summit in Kissimmee on November 23rd to celebrate the power of mothers in the climate movement and learn how to get more involved in climate action for the future of our children.
Yaritza Perez was invited to speak on behalf of the Ecomadres Program at a press conference focused on environmental justice in Tampa hosted by Congresswoman Castor (FL-14).
Florida Field Organizer, Yaritza Perez, attended that Climate Correction 2019 Conference with the VoLo Foundation at the University of Central Florida.
On October 5, Florida Organizer, Yaritza Perez, tabled at Victory Charter School in Kissimmee, Florida to share information about Moms Clean Air Force.
Moms Organizer, Yaritza Perez, participated in the Green Encuentros Environmental Symposium. The event, hosted at Valencia Community College, brought together leaders from Puerto Rico and Florida to discuss clean energy and issues around coal ash dumping.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the sixth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at MommyCon in Orlando.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force California attended the fifth annual Play-In for Climate Action on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.
Field organizer, Karina Castillo particpated in a Climate & Health Conversation with Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and SE Florida Climate Change Compact.
Field organizer, Karina Castillo attended the “Extreme Weather and Our National Security” event hosted by the American Security Project.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a “Mothers of Preschoolers” (MOPS) gathering in Orlando.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Mama Summit in Miami to learn about and celebrate local action on climate change. The press conference included remarks from field organizer, Karina Castillo and the Miami Chief Resilience Officer, Jane Gilbert, and panel presentations by community leaders, Zelalem Adefris, Maggie Fernandez, and Caroline Lewis. Moms Clean Air Force received a Certificate of Appreciation for our work in promoting clean air policies and protection of Mother Earth.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at Wynwood Yard Earth Day Festival.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at an Earth Day event at Brickell City Centre.
Field organizer, Karina Castillo attended a press conference organized by Our Children’s Trust highlighting the group of Florida children suing Governor Scott for his lack of climate action.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Climate and Health Summit.
Field organizer, Karina Castillo attended an event at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in Key Biscayne titled, “Climate Change and What You Can Do About It”.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida members met with Congressman Darren Soto at his Kissimmee district office to discuss local pollution in their community.
Moms Clean Air Force volunteers and supermoms met with Congressman Brian Mast at his district office in Stuart, FL to deliver clean air valentine’s.
Field consultant, Karina Castillo served as a panelist at “Empowering Capable Climate Communicators”. The Empowering Capable Climate Communicators Climate Leadership Symposium is an annual event co hosted by the University of Miami Department of Geological Sciences and The CLEO Institute.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended and tabled at the Florida Asthma Coalition Annual Summit in Orlando, FL at Nemours Hospital.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a panel discussion: How Local Government is Shaping Climate Resiliency in SE Florida.
Moms Clean Air Force Supermoms hosted a house party in Palm City, FL. At the house party, field consultant, Karina Castillo spoke about Moms Clean Air Force, local impacts in their area, and gave the attendees various actions to take post-house party.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the SE Regional Climate Change Summit.
Field consultant, Karina Castillo testified at an EPA Clean Power Plan hearing held in Charleston, WV.
Moms Clean Air Force and Catholic Climate Covenant hosted a bilingual conversation on Catholic Faith, Creation, Care, and Pope Francis’ Encyclical, Laudato Si’ at St. Timothy Catholic Church in Miami.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended “EnCourage Miami: conservative, climate, leadership” hosted by republicEN at Florida International University.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida members traveled to Washington, DC to meet with lawmakers and urge them to protect EPA’s budget.
Field consultant, Karina Castillo attended and spoke at a partner event celebrating elected Florida leaders who support the Paris agreement and action on climate change.
Members of Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the 2017 Play-In for Climate Action and met with members of Senator Rubio’s and Senator Nelson’s staff.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida is attended and presented at the GreenLatinos Retreat in California.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida spoke on a panel at “Climate change in the new administration: why south Florida should care”, hosted by Impact Strategies & Congressman Alcee Hastings in Fort Lauderdale.
Field consultant, Karina Castillo attended and presented at the Grist50 gathering in New York City. The event united honorees from their 50 under 50 list to work on solutions to combat climate change.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida participated in the Miami Peoples Climate March.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the City of Miami & The CLEO Institute Community Climate Forum at Little Haiti Cultural Center.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida participated in the Miami Science March.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a field hearing convened by the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation and ranking member U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), titled “Extreme Weather and Coastal Flooding: What is Happening Now, What is the Future Risk, and What Can We Do About It?” in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Mama Summit in Tallahassee. Parents and concerned citizens united to tell our state leaders that we are paying attention to their actions–it’s time we unite for strong policies that protect the health and welfare of our families!
Field consultant, Karina Castillo presented at a meeting for individuals traveling to Tallahassee with Catalyst Miami for Dade Days. Castillo spoke on what health impacts the South Florida region will face in a changing climate.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida delivered 47 Clean Air Valentines from children to the Miami offices of Senator Nelson, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, and Congressman Carlos Curbelo.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled and attended the Florida Asthma Coalition Summit in Orlando, Florida at Valencia College Lake Nona Campus.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a GreenLatinos Climate Working Group Meeting.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida participated in an Ethnic Media Roundtable event with New America Media.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a City of Miami Sea Level Rise Committee meeting.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Play-In for Climate Action at Westwind Lakes Park.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at MommyCon in Orlando.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a “School’s Out Food Drive” contributing to the over 4,542 pounds of food collected by Moms Clean Air Force chapters nationwide.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the National Latino Climate Leadership Forum.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a Leadership Summit with Sachamama.
Karina Castillo attended the USCAN Conference in Miami.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the GreenLatinos Retreat.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Read-In with Congressman Curbelo at Gateway Environmental K-8 Center.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the FAU Arctic Summit: Futures Connected.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Mama Summit and Press Conference in honor of World Asthma Day.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended a State Senate Hearing on Contamination of Biscayne Bay by FP&L.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at the National Hispanic Medical Association Annual Joint Conference in Washington, DC.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at the SFL Hispanic Chamber of Commerce 10th Annual Latino Health & Wellness Expo.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida participated in a Twitter Town Hall with Administrator Gina McCarthy: How Climate Change Impacts the Latino Community.
Saturday, April 23, 1:00-5:00 PM: Moms Clean Air Force Florida is tabling at ECO Fair held at Hialeah High School.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the Florida State Voices Conference in Orlando.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the LULAC Women’s Conference in Los Angeles.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida Super Mom, Paulette Richards organized a Women’s History Month Climate and the Humanities event.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida participated in the 4th Annual Friends and Family Fun Day – Children’s Rehab Network, Miami Gardens.
Latino outreach coordinator, Karina Castillo presented on a panel: Social Justice Table Gathering: The Impacts of Climate Change on the Health of Our Communities. The panel was organized by Catalyst Miami and the Earth Ethics Institute at Miami-Dade College Wolfson Campus. Additional co-hosts included the Allegany Franciscan Ministries and Florida CHAIN. The discussion was centered around how climate change will affect public health in South Florida. Specifically, Karina spoke about what climate changes means for South Florida, what weather extremes can be expected in our region, and what that means for families in our communities.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the Science & Policy Forum on the Turkey Point’s Nuclear Expansion at Pinecrest Gardens.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the Film Screening & Panel Discussion for “This Changes Everything” at Pinecrest Gardens Banyan Bowl.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the South Florida Anti-Poverty Summit: Climate Resilience and Social Equity.
Attended the 7th Annual Southeast Florida Regional Climate Leadership Summit, Key West, Florida.
Field organizer, Karina Castillo attended an event at the University of Miami entitled “The Gathering Threat of Climate Change and its Implications for Water Security and Sea Level Rise” where IPCC representatives and University professors highlighted findings from the most recent report. UN representatives also shared their thoughts on the upcoming COP in Paris.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended COSEE’s Miami’s Changing Environment: A Night of Action.
Moms Clean Air Force tabled at EcoFest | 6838 NW 18th Ave, Miami, FL, 33147 Liberty City.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended Orlando action on Climate Deniers.
Moms Clean Air Force Florida attended the Florida UM/IPCC Conference: Gathering threat of climate change and implication for water security SLR.
October 2015: Moms Clean Air Force Florida members marched in the Miami People’s Climate Movement rally.
April 2015: Moms Clean Air Force Florida tabled at the South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Health Expo.
January 2015: Moms Clean Air Force super mom, Nicole Hernandez Hammer sat in the First Lady’s boxduring the State of the Union address.
October 9, 2014: Moms Clean Air Force Florida met with Gina McCarthy in Miami during the King Tide for a sea level rise tour.
October 5, 2014: Moms Clean Air Force Florida hosted a Miami Town Hall on Children’s Health & Climate Change.
- Sun-Sentinel, South Florida will bear brunt of climate crisis if state, feds keep ignoring us | Opinion
- Tampa Dispatch, Kathy Castor: ‘Higher temperatures have real world impacts right here in the Tampa area’
- Miami Herald, South Florida will bear the brunt of climate crisis if the state, feds, keep ignoring us | Opinion
- Press Release, FL Moms Join Members of Congress on Capitol Hill as Part of Sweeping Movement for Climate Solutions
- Univision, El cambio climático, una realidad para veteranos y nuestras familias
- The Miami Times, Black women, demand safer air
- PBS, Do We Still Need the Clean Air Act?
- Spectrum Bay News 9, OUC Looks at Energy Future, Including Closing Coal Plants
- Orlando Sentinel, Orlando’s utility to consider shuttering its coal plants
- Union of Concerned Scientists, Chronic Flooding and the Future of Miami
- The Marjorie, Florida’s Environment: 5 Moms Giving Back
- The Mama Bird Diaries, moms + mayors: an unstoppable force to protect the environment
- WLRN, South Florida Moms Celebrate Mother’s Day By Discussing Climate Change
- Our Climate Voices, Karina Castillo | Miami, Florida
- Tallahassee Democrat, 25 Women: Cara Fleischer motivates others to raise their voices
- ABC 27, Government shutdown impacted Tallahassee residents, employees
- Deutsche Welle, Activists voice opposition to Obama climate plan repeal in coal country
- Courthouse News, Scores Turn Out In Coal Country to Air Views on Clean Power Plan’s End
- Xinhua Net, Feature: Rising sea levels cause trouble for Miami communities, threaten to get worse
- The Washington Times, Mothers, children rally on Capitol Hill for cleaner air
- Gray DC, Florida mom comes to DC to fight climate change
- Sun-Sentinel, We can address climate change with or without president | Letters
- Dayna Reggero, florida filming rep. carlos curbelo
- E&E News, An endangered Republican’s quest to whip votes, win allies
- El Venezolano Newspaper Miami, Comunidades del sur de Florida se ven afectadas por cambio climático
- Tallahassee Democrat, Keep moving forward after the marches end
- WUSF Public Media, Arctic Council Report A Wake Up Call For Florida
- Sun-Sentinel, Experts see climate change peril for South Florida’s black and Hispanic communities
- Public Now, **MEDIA ADVISORY** Hastings To Participate In Climate Change Town Hall
- Miami Diario, Miami se suma a marchas contra escepticismo climático de Trump (+Fotos)
- Tallahassee Democrat, Letter: Protect our children, not polluters
- Grist, Karina Castillo organizes those with the most to lose
- Sun-Sentinel, Trump’s EPA nominee not good for Florida families | Opinion
- Public News Service, Florida Moms Rally Against EPA Nominee
- Undark Magazine, Mobilizing Green Latinos
- City Lab, The Realities of Sea-Level Rise in Miami’s Low-Income Communities
- Univision, ASÍ SE SIENTE EL AUMENTO DEL NIVEL DEL MAR EN LOS BARRIOS MÁS POBRES DE MIAMI
- Union of Concerned Scientists, Scientist in the Field: On the Ground in Flooded Florida Neighborhoods
- WFSU, Mother/Daughter Lobbying Team Hit Capitol Hill
- Tampa Bay Times, Saturday’s letters: Progress on chemical safety
- Sun Sentinel, Fight for cleaner air
- E&E Publishing, ‘Noah’s Ark approach’ and coastal flooding win GOP converts
- Caribbean Today, TACOLCY HOSTS COMMUNITY CLIMATE FORUM
- Miami Herald, Clean power plan
- WWFE La Poderosa, Radio Clip
- Caribbean Digital Network, MARCHA NACIONAL CONTRA EL CAMBIO CLIMÁTICO LLEGA A MIAMI
- NBC News, 5 Questions: Latina Climate Scientist On Carbon Emissions Rule
- The Christian Science Monitor, Climate change crusade goes local
- NBC 6 South Florida, News Clip
- Miami Herald, Staying afloat amid climate change
- New York Times, Climate Change Is of Growing Personal Concern to U.S. Hispanics, Poll Finds
- Univision, Un palco de invitados con mucho mensaje
- Univision, Obama pedirá una economía que genere oportunidades para la clase media
- Herald-Tribune, A lot of Florida storylines in tonight’s State of the Union Address
- Savannah Morning News, 5 goals from Obama’s 2014 State of the Union
- Bustle, Michelle Obama’s State Of The Union Guest List Includes An Astronaut, A Chicago Teenager & More
- Baltimore Sun, Catherine Pugh, Alan Gross to sit with Michelle Obama at State of the Union address
- Climate for Health, HOW TO ENGAGE A DIVERSE SET OF RACIAL AND ETHNIC GROUPS IN CLIMATE SOLUTIONS
- Las Americas, Primera Dama invita a climatóloga hispana Nicole Hernández a la presentación del Estado de la Unión
- El Tiempo Latino, Rostro humano a la lucha para mejorar el ambiente
- El Nuevo Herald, Científica hispana fue invitada de la primera dama al discurso presidencial
- La Raza, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- World News Network, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- La Prensa, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- El Mensajero, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- La Opinion, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- El Diario, Activista de Florida quiere reclutar a latinos a lucha por medio ambiente
- ¡Hola! Arkansas, FIRST LADY INVITES DREAMER, HISPANICS TO STATE OF THE UNION
- U.S. News, Students Interview Scientists, Astronauts at White House ‘State of STEM’ Event
- Inside Climate News, A Defiant Obama Asserts Climate Agenda With Firmness and Mockery
- Associated Press, 8 who wrote Obama letters to attend State of Union
- WSVN, Members of South Florida community invited to attend State of the Union
- Latin Post, State of the Union 2015 Guests: DACA Recipient, Cuban Dissidents to Attend State of the Union Address
- Miami Herald Blog, Alan Gross to sit with Michelle Obama at State of the Union; Marco Rubio invites late Cuban activist’s daughter
- Fox News Latino, State of the Union address attended by diverse group of Latinos in the front row
- Salon, Michelle Obama’s SOTU guest: “It’s really disappointing” that leaders are still debating climate change
- The Wall Street Journal, Lawmakers Use State of the Union Guests to Show Stance on U.S.-Cuba Relations
- Bradenton Herald, Obama outlines plans to help middle class
- Fusion, Michelle Obama’s State of the Union guest has a dire warning on climate change
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Science gets its moment in Obama’s 2015 State of the Union
- National Journal, Obama: ‘No Challenge Poses a Greater Threat to Future Generations Than Climate Change’
- WLRN, South Florida Researcher To Sit With Michelle Obama For SOTU Speech
- Environmental News Service, Climate Warning Key to Obama’s State of the Union Address
- Examiner, Gaining greater awareness of sea level rise
- The Daily Caller, Obama’s SOTU Guest Points To Big Climate Push In His Final Years
- Miami Herald, Obama outlines plans to help middle class in State of the Union address
- Politico, What to watch for at tonight’s State of the Union – Sea level researcher floats to FLOTUS’s box – Agencies get until Feb. 2 to comment on Keystone XL
- Mic, Meet the Latina Climate Scientist Joining Michelle Obama at the State of the Union
- Mashable, Obama’s guests: Who’s who at the State of the Union
- onEarth, Scientist and clean air advocate Nicole Hernandez Hammer will be a guest at tonight’s State of the Union.
- The Huffington Post, Meet The Climate-Researching Mom The Obamas Are Bringing To The State Of The Union
- Bloomberg Businessweek, How the White House Picks State of the Union Guests
- Newsweek, Meet the Latina Climate Scientist Michelle Obama Invited to the State of the Union Address
- Think Progress, Latina Climate Scientist To Watch State Of The Union With Michelle Obama
- NBC News, Latina Scientist, DREAMer Among First Lady’s State of the Union Guests
- The Washington Post, With SOTU guest, Obama defies climate skeptics
- Los Angeles Times, State of the Union: Who are Michelle Obama’s guests?
- Jewish Political News & Updates, Rubio Invites Activist Rosa Maria Paya to State Of The Union in Opposition of Normalizing Relations with Cuba
- Full-Time Whistle, New law could force senators to reveal views on climate change
- EIN News, WHITE HOUSE ANNOUNCES GUESTS IN FIRST LADY’S BOX — STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
- Newsmax, Rubio Invites Cuban Dissident’s Daughter to Obama Address
- Christian Science Monitor, State of the Union: Who will sit with Michelle Obama? (+video)
- Yahoo News, State of the Union: Who will sit with Michelle Obama?
- The Hill, Climate change researcher to sit with first lady at SOTU
- The Huffington Post, Here’s Who’s Sitting With Michelle Obama During The State Of The Union Address
- E&E Publishing, SOTU guest signals focus on climate change
- Tampa Bay Times, Florida climate change researcher to attend State of the Union with Michelle Obama
- Politico, Who’s sitting with Michelle Obama at State of the Union
- The White House, Meet Nicole Hernandez Hammer, a Guest of the First Lady at the State of the Union
- Diario Las Américas, Activistas de Florida piden acciones contra cambio climático
- Miami Herald, Moms learn about climate change
- Orlando Sentinel, Florida utilities are major players in governor’s race
- NRDC Switchboard, Florida Activity is Heating Up: Leaders Urge #ActonClimate This Month Throughout the State