Media Is Invited to Ride Electric School Bus After the Press Conference
WHAT: Join Moms Clean Air Force, Climate Power, BlueGreen Alliance, and Michigan Clean Cities in Lansing, Michigan for a press conference about the Clean School Bus rebates that EPA awarded to Michigan school districts. These awards come shortly after EPA announced that it will double the amount of Clean School Bus funding available this year in response to “overwhelming demand.”
Clean School Bus rebates will help districts purchase zero-pollution electric school buses and phase-out traditional diesel-powered buses. Diesel vehicles produce health-harming exhaust that can trigger asthma attacks, interfere with lung development, and even cause cancer. Since the transportation sector is the largest source of climate pollution in the US, transitioning away from a fossil-fueled school bus fleet is also an important step in addressing the climate crisis.
WHO: Speakers at the press conference will include:
- Elizabeth Hauptman (event emcee), Michigan Field Organizer, Moms Clean Air Force
- Kindra Weid, RN, BSN, MPH, Coalition Coordinator of “It’s Electric”
- Frank Acevedo, Mobile Source Program Manager, US Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5 (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)
- Rachel VanDenBrink, President of Michigan Association of School Nurses
- Katrina Morris, Transportation Director for West Shore Educational Service District & Executive Director for the Michigan Association for Pupil Transportation
- Donavan McKinney, National Political Director of Climate Power
- Frank Houston, Regional Program Manager of BlueGreen Alliance
- Lynne Bosma, MSW, Health Equity and Outreach Program Manager of the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA)
WHEN: Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 1 PM ET
Virtually via livestream to the Moms Clean Air Force Facebook page.
In-person on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol:
100 N Capitol Ave, Lansing, MI 48933
Media is invited to experience an electric school bus ride. To make sure we reserve your seat(s), kindly email email@example.com and specify if you are sending a cameraperson. Buses on site will include:
- A LionC manufactured by Lion Electric Bus Company. This specific bus was manufactured in Canada, but current production buses are being built in Joliet, IL.
- A Navistar/IC bus manufactured in the US.
- Electric School Buses Fact Sheet
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Electric School Buses
- Why Electric School Buses Are an Environmental Justice Issue
NOTE TO EDITORS: Moms Clean Air Force will have professional images and b-roll of press conference participants upon request.