Media Is Invited to Ride Electric School Bus Made in Georgia After the Press Conference
CONTACT: Sasha Tenenbaum
Senior Manager, Media and Public Engagement
WHAT: Join Moms Clean Air Force, The Electrification Coalition, World Resources Institute, Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, Environment Georgia, Georgia Conservation Voters, Mothers & Others for Clean Air, and Blue Bird in Jonesboro, Georgia for a press conference about the Clean School Bus rebates that EPA awarded to Georgia school districts. These awards come shortly after EPA announced that it will double the amount of Clean School Bus funding available this year in response to “overwhelming demand.”
Clean School Bus rebates will help districts purchase zero-pollution electric school buses and phase-out traditional diesel-powered buses. Diesel vehicles produce health-harming exhaust that can trigger asthma attacks, interfere with lung development, and even cause cancer. Since the transportation sector is the largest source of climate pollution in the US, transitioning away from a fossil-fueled school bus fleet is also an important step in addressing the climate crisis.
Lily Zwaan, Moms Clean Air Force Georgia organizer, says: “Georgia moms are thrilled to see 127 zero-pollution electric school buses awarded across 14 school districts in the state, which is made possible by the 5-year, $5 billion investment in clean school buses included in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Law that Congress passed in 2021. Exhaust from traditional diesel buses can impair children’s ability to learn, harm their lungs and hearts, and cause cancer. For our kids, our bus drivers, and our communities, ditching diesel is a breath of fresh air.”
WHO: Speakers at the press conference will include:
- Mary Linn, GA Campaign Organizer for The Electrification Coalition
- Cary Ritzler, GA Organizer for Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
- Jennette Gayer, State Director of Environment Georgia
- Lily Zwann, GA Field Coordinator for Moms Clean Air Force
- Allie Brown, Political Director for Georgia Conservation Voters
- Tanya Coventry-Strader, Interim Executive Director of Mothers & Others for Clean Air
- Albert Burleigh, Executive Director of EV Business Development at Blue Bird Corp.
WHEN: Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 1 PM ET
Virtually via livestream to the Moms Clean Air Force Facebook page.
In-person at Clayton County International Park, by the playground.
2300 Hwy 138 SE, Jonesboro, GA 30236
Media is invited to experience an electric school bus ride. To make sure we reserve your seat(s), kindly email email@example.com and specify if you are sending a cameraperson. The bus on site will be a Blue Bird Vision Type C electric school bus that was built at Blue Bird’s factory in Fort Valley, GA.
- Moms Clean Air Force’s National Statement on EPA’s Clean School Bus Awards
- Moms Clean Air Force’s Georgia Statement on EPA’s Clean School Bus Awards
- Electric School Buses Fact Sheet
- How Diesel Pollution Affects Your Health
- Why Electric School Buses Are an Environmental Justice Issue
- Business Insider’s True Cost Video About Electric School Buses
NOTE TO EDITORS: Moms Clean Air Force will have professional images and b-roll of press conference participants upon request.