Contact: Sasha Tenenbaum, 917-887-0146 or firstname.lastname@example.org
In the midst of a deadly respiratory pandemic that especially harms people with underlying heart and lung disease, EPA has refused to strengthen national standards for particle pollution, a deadly but invisible form of air pollution that causes heart attacks, stroke, lung disease, premature death, and other ailments. This proposal is not an isolated attack on our health. It is one of the many significant ways that Administrator Andrew Wheeler is weakening health protections, using the Covid-19 pandemic as cover. But Moms are watching. More than 45 Moms Clean Air Force staff and volunteers from 17 states and the District of Columbia are testifying at the upcoming four-day public hearing (held by phone) about the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Particulate Matter. Our moms will be speaking about the importance of following the science and strengthening the particle pollution standards. In conjunction with this hearing, we invite media to speak with some of those giving oral testimonies that push back strongly against Mr. Wheeler’s callous refusal to strengthen the current national standards for deadly particle pollution.
Four of the many Moms Clean Air Force moms who will be offering oral testimony during the particle pollution hearing:
- Molly Rauch, Public Health Policy Director for Moms Clean Air Force.
- Columba Sainz, Arizona field organizer for Moms Clean Air Force, co-lead for Ecomadres, and resident of Phoenix, which ranks number #7 in the nation for worst year-round particle pollution.
- Mollie Michel, Program Manager for Moms Clean Air Force and resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which ranks #12 in the nation for worst year-round particle pollution.
- Melissa Nootz, Montana field organizer for Moms Clean Air Force, Livingston City Commissioner, and former resident of Missoula, which ranks #16 in the nation for worst year-round particle pollution.
Despite robust scientific evidence showing that the current particle pollution standards are not adequately protecting Americans from asthma, heart attacks, stroke, premature death, and other health problems, Trump’s EPA continues to ignore science, protect polluters, and undermine life-saving pollution protections. While America staggers under the burden of a lethal respiratory pandemic, this refusal to face science is literally making us sick. The coronavirus pandemic makes it more difficult for the public to participate in responding to EPA’s proposal, yet EPA has neither deferred or extended the comment period; indeed, the agency has set a timeline that would be considered rushed even without a national health emergency and state-at-home orders in place.
The hearings are being held May 20, 21, 22, and 27. To interview one or more of our speakers, please call or email the aforementioned media contact to arrange an interview time. Individual testimonies are available on request.
- To listen to the hearings by phone, please register as a listener here.
- Statement titled “EPA Administrator Wheeler refuses to strengthen standards for deadly particulate pollution, endangering Americans: A statement from Dominique Browning” (4/14/20)
- Timeline titled “EPA Moves under Cover of COVID: While COVID-19 spreads across the United States, EPA Chief Wheeler pushes a radical pro-polluter agenda.”
- Blog post titled “How Much Particle Pollution Am I Breathing?” by Molly Rauch (5/14/20)