We spend eight hours each night sleeping—totaling almost one-third of our lives. During that time, our bodies get a break to heal and rejuvenate. But our mattresses and bedding may contain chemicals that expose us to toxic chemicals linked to cancer, fertility problems, hormone disruption, and more.
The problem is there’s very little information available for families to figure out what bedding is safe and which are not.
When we looked for a chemical-free crib mattress, we learned “the current laws that are meant to protect us from harmful chemicals are weak, outdated and not doing their job. These laws don’t require adequate pre-market safety testing, and disclosure of chemical ingredients…”
Now, we’re happy to share a new report from non-profit partner, MADE SAFE on toxic chemicals in bedding that helps you: Detox Your Sleep, It’s a first-of-its-kind report to look at the materials that make up what we sleep on and how they affect our health, with a comprehensive look at the safer alternatives.
To kick off the report, along with MADE SAFE and Naturepedic, we’re excited to GIVE AWAY a Serenade Organic Mattress!
From the Detox Your Sleep report:
- Most mattresses are made of polyurethane foam, which is treated with flame retardants, linked to endocrine disruption, lower IQ, hyperactivity, altered sexual development, fertility issues, thyroid dysfunction, and cancer.
- Because polyurethane foam is highly flammable, the addition of flame retardant chemicals is necessary to meet mattress flammability standards. Natural materials like wool and cotton are generally less flammable than polyurethane foam, and don’t require extra flame retardants.
- Foam mattresses off-gas volatile organic compounds (VOCs), including a chemical manufactured with phosgene, a poisonous gas originally used as a chemical weapon in WWI that was responsible for many deaths.
- Baby mattresses are often made with waterproof vinyl, which can off-gas plasticizing phthalates and harmful VOCs directly into the baby’s sleep environment.
- Sheets labeled “wrinkle-free,” “no wrinkle,” “no iron,” and other terms can contain a finish of formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen.
Ready to get some peaceful ZZZ’s? HERE are a few healthier alternatives.
ENTER THE MATTRESS GIVEAWAY HERE