Moms Say: Stop Wheeler
The Trump Administration has nominated Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler to permanently become the head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This nomination is dangerous, irresponsible, and unacceptable. Wheeler’s fingerprints are all over the very worst environmental proposals of the Trump Administration. He has proven that he has no interest in protecting people’s health and safety, putting us on a path to climate safety, or reining in toxic chemicals or harmful air pollution. Wheeler was for many years a lobbyist for the coal industry — and it’s clear from his actions that corporate polluters are his first priority. Moms disapprove of the nomination of Andrew Wheeler to head EPA and we are calling on United States Senators to oppose this nomination.
Learn more and take action through the resources below.
- TEN REASONS WHY MOMS OPPOSE ANDREW WHEELER AS EPA CHIEF
- ANDREW WHEELER NOMINATION TO RUN EPA IS DANGEROUS
- MERCURY POLLUTION IN THE UNITED STATES
MOMS MAKE HEADLINES OPPOSING WHEELER:
- The New York Times, This Coal Lobbyist Should Not Run the E.P.A.
- Democracy Now!, The Fox in Charge of the Henhouse: Activists Decry Trump’s EPA Pick, Coal Lobbyist Andrew Wheeler
- CNBC, Democrats to grill Trump’s new EPA chief pick over past lobbying
- The New York Times, Andrew Wheeler, at E.P.A. Confirmation Hearing, Walks a Fine Line on Climate Change
- Mother Jones, The Next Likely EPA Chief Has Almost Completed His Former Coal Client’s Wish List
- La Opinión, Madres latinas preocupadas por el ambiente alzan sus voces en Washington DC
- E&E News, On eve of Wheeler vote, odd bedfellows decry MATS changes
- Roll Call, Protesters disrupt EPA confirmation hearing, held despite shutdown
- Colorado Politics, OPINION | Pending pick for EPA chief is bad for kids, bad for Colorado
- Charleston Gazette-Mail, Penny Dacks: Capito should protect WV from Wheeler’s dodgy record (Gazette Opinion)
- Pacific Standard, SENATORS GRILL TRUMP’S NOMINEE TO HEAD THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
- WRAL News, KELLE PRESSLEY-PERKINS: Wheeler is not what EPA needs to protect the environment
- Truthout, Activists Decry Trump’s EPA Pick, Coal Lobbyist Andrew Wheeler
- Public News Service, Colorado Moms Weigh In on Trump’s EPA Nominee
- Public News Service, Mass. Mom Questions Wheeler as Choice to Head EPA
- Las Vegas Sun, Families will suffer if Wheeler becomes EPA chief
- E&E News, EPA shutdown silences public inquiry over Ind. lead cleanup
- Public News Service, Iowa Mom Raises Concern Over Wheeler as EPA Chief
- Public News Service, Moms Question EPA Nominee’s Coal Past
- Cronkite News Arizona PBS, Arizona mom joins activists protesting Wheeler nomination to head EPA
- Facebook Live Interview with Adriana Ruggiero, Conversando con Columba Sainz y Gaby Rivera de la organización EcoMadres
- Mercury Protections Draw Broad Support
- Sen. Capito Should Protect West Virginia from Wheeler
- Wheeler Will Not Protect North Carolina
- Trump’s EPA Shuts Down Mercury
- Here’s How Mom Activists Get it Done in 1 Week
- People Across the Country Agree: #StopWheeler
- Dominique Browning in New York Times Slams Wheeler’s Latest Attack on Children’s Health
- Experts Discuss How Trump’s EPA is Attacking Standards That Keep Our Families Safe from Mercury
- Don’t Let a Coal Lobbyist Run EPA
- Moms Clean Air Force Opposes the Nomination of Andrew Wheeler to Head EPA
- EPA Acting Administrator Wheeler’s Toxic Chemical Agenda is Dangerous
- Mercury in Our Air
- The Health Benefits Of Reducing Mercury Are Much Larger Than Estimated
- Attacking the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards is Poisonous for Our Children
- Our Children Need Health Protections Strengthened, Not Rolled Back
- EPA Enforcement is Declining Across Every U.S. Region
- Andrew Wheeler Was a Coal Lobbyist. Now He Heads EPA.
- 5 Things About Trump’s EPA Assault on the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards
- The nomination of ex-coal lobbyist, @EPAAWheeler to head EPA is dangerous, irresponsible, and unacceptable. #StopWheeler (Tweet this)
- .@EPAAWheeler’s fingerprints are all over the very worst environmental proposals of the Trump Administration. #StopWheeler #MomsDisapprove (Tweet this)
- Who on earth would want to harm tiny babies’ brains? The man who may be running the agency that is supposed to protect us, that’s who. #MomsDisapprove #StopWheeler (Tweet this)
MOMS IN THE FIGHT: OUR EFFORTS SO FAR
- On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, Moms Clean Air Force attended the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee meeting where committee members voted on whether to advance Andrew Wheeler’s nomination for EPA Administrator to the Senate for full consideration. (They voted along party lines, and the nomination moved from the EPW committee to the full Senate for consideration.)
- On Monday, February 4, 2019, Moms Clean Air Force co-hosted a Senate briefing with Earthjustice featuring Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) and industry, health, faith, and environmental justice experts. The topic: Why these “odd bedfellows” oppose EPA Acting Administrator Andrew Wheeler’s proposal to undermine our country’s mercury pollution standards (the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards, or “MATS”).
- On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, Moms Clean Air Force welcomed families to Washington, D.C. to meet with their members of Congress to make it clear that moms–and many others across the country!–oppose the nomination of Andrew Wheeler to head the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and so should our Senators. Moms (and kids!) in red shirts dominated the halls of Congress all day Tuesday, meeting with our Senators and Representatives to stress the importance of protecting our children’s health and the need to oppose the nomination of Andrew Wheeler.
- On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, Moms Clean Air Force members (including kids!) showed up in full force to attend the nomination hearing of ex-coal lobbyist, Andrew Wheeler to head EPA. His actions at EPA so far show that he is unfit to lead EPA and protect our kids’ health. His performance at the hearing made that even clearer. Click here to watch a livestream of the hearing.