Moms Clean Air Force is seeking a highly motivated individual in the DC Area who is dedicated to building a program across the area to engage moms and families on issues of clean air and climate change.
This part-time contract position will be dedicated to executing an issue-based campaign to:
Develop a strong coalition of environmental justice partners and supermoms to support and grow Moms Clean Air Force’s mission in Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, and the Maryland suburbs of DC.
- Cultivate a diverse group of activists and stakeholders in the DC Area to build public and political support for federal solutions on air pollution and climate change
- Plan visibility events for Moms Clean Air Force at the Capitol, EPA, and other DC locations and turnout volunteers to events
- Support the Moms Clean Air Force team as we advocate for federal policy change by supporting out-of-town activists at legislative meetings and participating in key meetings and events
- Engage and represent Moms Clean Air Force within campaign and coalition groups to support environmental justice, air quality, climate action, and other policy goals
- Advance Moms Clean Air Force’s goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion, meaning that people from all backgrounds are empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges
Lead visits with federal elected leaders and their staff and advocate on policy priorities.
- Mobilize supermoms and other members to communicate and engage with elected officials and other decision makers on clean air and climate change
- Organize individual advocacy meetings and events to bring visibility to policy priorities
- Organize supporters to attend and testify at hearings and workshops related to the DC Area’s air quality and climate issues
Plan and execute meetings and grassroots events to educate, build relationships, and create visibility of Moms Clean Air Force in the DC Area.
- Engage Moms Clean Air Force membership through online platforms, including action alerts, emails, and social media
- Cultivate and educate volunteers throughout Washington, DC, to build diverse constituencies of support for policy priorities
- Educate and present at public meetings, events, town halls, schools, and parenting events
Increase the visibility of Moms Clean Air Force on climate change and air quality issues through media.
- Coordinate with communications staff to place opinion pieces and letters to the editor in local papers
- Highlight the leadership of DC Area communities on climate change and environmental challenges in media and social media
- Work with diverse parents to help them share their stories of how pollution and climate change impact their families
- Identify earned media opportunities in family-centric print, TV, radio, and online platforms
- Organize press events in rapid response to key policy issues
- Build relationships with local media and provide quotes and speaking opportunities to media
- Maintain a DC-specific webpage that highlights relevant issues and highlights work in the field
Provide periodic reports through weekly conference calls, monthly and quarterly written reports, and other communications as needed.
- Strong commitment to clean air and climate change solutions
- Strong commitment to Indigenous sovereignty and environmental justice
- Strong understanding of the DC Area’s environmental issues and politics, particularly at the federal level.
- Self-awareness, cultural competency, inclusivity, and ability to work with others across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Self-motivated, innovative, with the ability to work independently
- Experience managing projects and events from beginning to end
- Ability to work well under pressure with both grassroots and grass-tops volunteers and staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with constituents, elected officials, and allies
- Familiarity working with online advocacy tools, websites, and social media
- Minimum 2 years of political and community engagement experience preferred
- Well organized, detail oriented, goal driven, and able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments in a positive, timely manner in a fast-paced environment
- Some nights and weekends required
- Must have access to a vehicle
Send resume and cover letter to:
Elizabeth Brandt, National Field Manager, Moms Clean Air Force firstname.lastname@example.org