Moms Clean Air Force (Moms) is a community of over 1.3 million moms working together to equitably protect the health of families from the impacts of air pollution and climate change. Through a vibrant network of state-based community organizers, we work on national and local policy issues.
Moms Clean Air Force is seeking a highly motivated individual who is dedicated to working to protect the health of communities in the Ohio River Valley region from the impacts of air pollution and climate change. This individual would engage volunteers, stakeholders, policy makers, and agencies on issues to help protect communities from the impacts of fossil fuel and petrochemical industry pollution in the Ohio River Valley region. The Ohio River Valley region includes the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia.
This part-time contract position will be dedicated to executing a campaign to:
Develop a strong coalition of partners and volunteers to support and grow Moms Clean Air Force’s mission in the Ohio River Valley region.
- Cultivate a diverse group of activists and stakeholders in the Ohio River Valley region to build public and political support for local, state, and federal solutions to protect communities from the impacts of climate change and air pollution from fossil fuel and petrochemical industries.
- Represent Moms Clean Air Force and work within with a coalition of partner organizations to engage and collaborate on policy priorities and objectives.
- Advance Moms Clean Air Force’s goals of diversity, equity and inclusion, meaning that people from all backgrounds are empowered to address environmental and organizational challenges
- Advocate for environmental justice and equity in low-income communities, frontline communities, and communities of color
Lead visits with elected leaders and agencies to advocate policy priorities.
- Mobilize volunteers to communicate and engage with elected officials, decision makers, and other stakeholders on the need for policies and regulations to protect communities from air pollution and climate change.
- Organize individual advocacy meetings and events to bring visibility to policy priorities at the local, state and federal level
- Organize supporters to attend and testify at public hearings, comment sessions, and workshops related to air quality and climate issues
Plan and execute meetings and grassroots events to educate, build relationships and create visibility of Moms Clean Air Force in the Ohio River Valley Region.
- Engage Moms Clean Air Force membership through online platforms including action alerts, emails, and social media
- Cultivate and educate volunteers to build diverse constituencies of support for policy priorities
- Educate and present at public meetings, events, town halls, schools and parenting events
Increase the visibility of Moms Clean Air Force on issues related to protections from petrochemical pollution and industry buildout through media.
- Coordinate with communications staff to place opinion pieces and letters to the editor in local papers
- Identify local voices to amplify clean air and climate messages in media
- Identify earned media opportunities in print, television, radio, and online platforms
- Serve as a spokesperson and recruit other volunteers for public speaking and communication activities
- Organize press events in rapid response to key policy issues
- Build relationship with local media and provide quotes and speaking opportunities to media
Provide periodic reports through weekly highlights, team conference calls, and quarterly written reports along with other communications as needed.
Additional duties as assigned
- Strong commitment to clean air and climate change solutions
- General understanding of the Ohio River Valley region environmental issues and politics
- Self-motivated, innovative, with the ability to work independently
- Ability to work well under pressure with both grassroots and grass-tops volunteers and staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with public, elected officials and partner organizations
- Familiarity working with online advocacy tools, website, and social media
- Minimum 2 years of political and field experience preferred
- Well organized, detail oriented, goal driven, and able to prioritize and manage multiple assignments in a positive, timely manner in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency, inclusivity, and ability to work with others across diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Occasional nights and weekends
- Must have access to a vehicle and internet
Send resume and cover letter to: Patrice Tomcik, National Field Manager, Moms Clean Air Force, email@example.com