On November 19, 2021, the House of Representatives passed the Build Back Better Act—once-in-a-generation legislation to make bold investments in climate solutions. Now we need the Senate to take action to pass this bill.
From wildfires in the West to epic storms along the Gulf Coast to heat waves and extreme flooding across the country, the US is feeling the impacts of climate change. For the safety of our communities, our children, and future generations, we must get climate pollution under control. We have everything to lose if we do not act now.
The Build Back Better Act would make bold investments in climate solutions—like bringing more clean energy onto the grid and electrifying transportation—and more. This would be the most significant legislation to cut climate pollution that the US has ever seen.
Tell your Senators to make climate safety a priority and support the Build Back Better Act—with all its critical climate provisions left intact.
What’s in the Build Back Better Act?
This bill provides funding, establishes programs, and otherwise modifies provisions relating to a broad array of areas, including education, labor, child care, health care, taxes, immigration, and the environment.
Moms Clean Air Force supports strong climate legislation; the Black Maternal Health Act of 2021; investments and incentives for electric vehicles, including electric school buses; and funding to clean up orphan wells.
The original Build Back Better Act was introduced in the House in September 2021, and these are the provisions we watched for. As the bill is considered in the Senate, Moms are watching to ensure every one of these critical provisions that would address the climate crisis and clean up pollution that is impacting our health is included in the final version.
The Build Back Better Framework
On October 28, 2021, President Biden announced his latest Build Back Better Framework, which would make a historic investment of $555 billion in addressing the climate crisis. Once passed, the Build Back Better Framework will invest in communities that are disproportionately impacted by pollution and put us on a path toward climate safety.
Here are just a few of the critical climate line items we’re supporting in President Biden’s framework:
- Rebates and tax credits to make electric vehicles more affordable and cut energy costs for households
- $5 billion for transitioning heavy-duty vehicles to electric-powered vehicles
- A Methane Emissions Reduction Program that will drive down the methane pollution responsible for 25% of the climate change impacts we’re already experiencing
- Increased funding for monitoring air quality and cutting air pollution, including fenceline monitoring of polluting facilities, expanded national ambient air quality monitoring, air quality sensors in low-income and disadvantaged communities, and technical assistance to address air pollution at schools
- $25 billion for clean energy and transportation manufacturing, meaning more high-wage and in-demand jobs for our families
- Critical Black maternal health provisions from the Black Maternal Health “Momnibus” Act, including $85 million for the community-based programs and identification of climate risk zones for pregnant and postpartum people outlined in the Protecting Moms and Babies Against Climate Change Act
- $11 billion for national climate and resilience service programs that will put millions of young people to work in good-paying jobs
- $3 billion for environmental justice block grants for communities disproportionately impacted by the climate crisis, plus additional funding for legacy pollution cleanup
Support from Moms Clean Air Force
In response, Dominique Browning, Co-Founder and Director of Moms Clean Air Force, issued the following statement:
Support from the Equitable and Just National Climate Platform
The Equitable and Just National Climate Platform supports the Build Back Better Framework with this statement:
November 19, 2021: House Passes Build Back Better Act! Now Senate Needs to Get the Job Done.
November 10, 2021: The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act Passed!
October 28, 2021: When Lawmakers Ignore Us
October 20, 2021: This is Urgent, Senator Manchin
October 14, 2021: The World Is Watching: Will the US Be a Leader?
September 28, 2021: What Moms Are Watching in the Build Back Better Act
February 9, 2021: Congress Aims to Improve Black Mothers Maternal Health
November 5, 2021: We Need Bold Action to Combat the Climate Crisis (Video)
October 21, 2021: Rosemarie Wants to Build Back Better with EVs (Video)
October 4, 2021: GA Moms Call on Congress to Go Bold on Climate (Video)
October 4, 2021: Congress: Go Bold for a Healthier Future (Video)
September 28, 2021: Letter to Congress in Support of a Methane Fee
September 24, 2021: Let’s Get Rolling Electric School Bus Tour (Video)
September 9, 2021: West Virginia Calls on Congress to Address Extreme Weather and Invest in Clean Energy (Video)
September 1, 2021: Michigan Clean Vehicles Virtual Press Conference (Video)
August 13, 2021: Let’s Get Rolling: Delaware for Electric School Buses (Video)
August 9, 2021: West Virginia Moms Support Good Clean Energy Jobs (Video)
May 26, 2021: Black Maternal Health and the Climate Crisis: What Congress Can Do (Video)