Members of Congress, Youth Climate Strike Leaders Join Hundreds of Moms Converging on Capitol Hill as Part of Sweeping Movement for Climate Solutions
Contact: Blair Fitzgibbon, (202) 503-6141, email@example.com
Moms Clean Air Force to Host Annual “Play-In” Demanding that Lawmakers and 2020 Presidential Hopefuls Solve Climate Crisis
WASHINGTON, DC (July 6, 2019) – On Thursday, July 11th,. more than 500 members from more than 25 states will gather at the U.S. Capitol for the sixth Moms Clean Air Force “Play-In for Climate Action” and live-streamed press conference. This annual event will showcase visionary moms, Youth Climate Strikers, Members of Congress and other leaders demanding urgent action on climate. Moms will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with elders and youth in full support of the global student strikes that have ignited a social movement – the likes of which we haven’t seen in decades. This intergenerational momentum is building toward the global strike for climate action on September 20th.
Speakers will be calling on political leadership at the highest levels—including the 2020 presidential candidates—to protect our families by taking the climate crisis seriously. This means 100% clean energy across the entire economy by 2050.
The family-friendly Play-In for Climate Action will feature kids’ activities, including a giant parachute, yoga, hula hoops, towering puppets and larger-than-life climate-themed building blocks, as well as a live performance by Latin GRAMMY award-winning bilingual children’s musician, Mister G. Hailed as a “bi-lingual rock star” by the Washington Post, Mister G’s cross-cultural music aims to inspire a new generation of eco-activists.
Following the Play-In, families will head to the Capitol to meet with their members of Congress to share their personal stories and will urge their representatives to take immediate action on climate change for the sake of their children’s health and future.
Moms Clean Air Force Play-In for Climate Action at the U.S. Capitol
The National Mall at 3rd St SW & Madison Dr NW
Press Conference Time:
10:00 AM Eastern
- Keynote speaker Alexandria Villaseñor is a 14-year-old climate justice activist and leading organizer for the ongoing global Fridays for Future Climate Strikes.
- Emcee Vanessa Hauc is a Telemundo Network Emmy award-winning journalist
- Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE At-large)
- Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) Chair of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee
- Congresswoman Kathy Castor (D-FL 7) Chair of the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis
- Congresswoman Debbie Dingell (D-MI 12)
- Congresswoman Deb Haaland (D-NM 1)
- Congressman Donald McEachin (D-VA 4)
- Congresswoman Kim Schrier (D-WA 8)
- Great Grandmother Mary Lyons is a Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe member in Minnesota, UN Indigenous Observer and Author
- Rev Michael Malcom, MDiv MBA is the Executive Director of Alabama Interfaith Power and Light
- Dominique Browning is Moms Clean Air Force’s Co-Founder and Senior Director
- Heather McTeer Toney is Moms Clean Air Force’s National Field Director and the former Regional Administrator for Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Southeast Region
An updated list of speakers can be found here.
The National Mall at 3rd St SW & Madison Drive NW, Washington DC (the event, including the press conference, will also be livestreamed on the Moms Clean Air Force Facebook page found here: https://www.facebook.com/momscleanairforce
Alternate rain location: Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 12 East Capitol St NE, Washington, DC 20003
Thursday, July, 11 2018 from 9:30-11:00 AM Eastern
NOTE: Press conference will begin at approximately 10:00 AM and runs about 45 minutes. Unlike a traditional press conference, there will not be time for Q&A. Please direct media requests for individual speakers to an attendant at the “Press Area” (located near the stage) or reach out to the above-listed contact.
Livestreaming will be available here, b-roll footage of the Play-In will be available upon request, and photos also available upon request.
About Moms Clean Air Force: Moms Clean Air Force is a community of over one million moms—and dads—working together to fight air pollution, including the urgent crisis of our changing climate. For more information, go to http://www.momscleanairforce.org/or follow us on Twitter @CleanAirMoms, Instagram @cleanairmoms, or Facebook.